Tinnitus Tamer for Macintosh - Version History
Mac OS X
Version 4.2.8 build C5
Version 4.2.7 build C2
Version 4.2.6 build B6
Version 4.2.5 build C3
Version 4.2.5 build C3
Version 4.2.4 build A4
Version 4.2.1 build C3
Version 4.2.0 build C3
Version 4.1.0 build R06
Version 4.0.4 build M17
Version 4.0.3 build M16
Version 3.0.7 build F
Version 4.0.2 build M15
Enter key toggles the Start/Stop button.
Tab key toggles the Pause/Resume button.
Version 4.0.0 build M111. Tinnitus Tamer 4 runs on OS X 10.4 or later.
2. The licensed version of Tinnitus Tamer 4 lets you create sound files form tone sequences. The sound files will be saved as a high quality AIFF files at a 44100 Hz sampling rate. The AIFF file size is typically about 200 MB. To play the sound sequence on another computer copy the AIFF file to the other computer. To play the file on an iPod, open the AIFF file in iTunes. Once the AIFF file has opened in iTunes, select Advanced > Create AAC Version from the iTunes menu. The converted AAC file size is typically about 5 MHz
3. Fixed a few minor problems.
4. Please note that the Tinnitus Tamer 4 is a paid upgrade. The upgrade fee is $10.00. However, if you purchased a Tinnitus Tamer between March 1, 2008 and March 30, 2009, the upgrade is free. Please send an e-mail to TTsupport@vavsoft.com, providing your existing registration name and registration code, requesting a free update license code. Please allow a few days for the new code to arrive.
Version 3.0.6 build F1. Version 3.0.6 F Is functionally identical to 3.0.6 (10.3), but recompiled for OS X 10.4 or later. This avoids the no-launch problem on some OS X 10.5 machines.
2. Fixed a few cosmetic problems.
3. Updated the license order contact URL.
Version 3.0.6 build E1. Version 3.0.6 version E is optimised for OS X 10.5, and ONLY runs in OS X 10.5.
2. The HTML code in the Apple Help file has been updated to be compatible with OS X 10.4 & 10.5.
3. The Adjustmet delay time, introduced in version 3.0.5, has been increased from 20 seconds to 30 seconds.
Version 3.0.6 build 10.31. Version 3.0.6 build 10.3 is fuctionally identical to version 3.0.6 build E, but is compiled for OS X 10.3 and later.
Version 3.0.5 build UR1. Version 3.0.5 introduces a feature to make it easier to make precise frequency adjustment. When any of the three frequency sliders is clicked or moved, the frequency corresponding to the touched slider repeats for 20 seconds. Any time the slider is clicked or moved again, the repeat time is reset to 20 seconds from the last click or move.
2. The main window has been updated to make it easier to read with the new (darker) metallic grey used in the current version of OS X 10.5. The labels of the Play and Pause buttons have been changed to ease identification of the state they are in.
3. The ability of Tinnitus Tamer Window to remain in the background when another window is selected in the Finder, which was lost in OS X 10.5, has been restored.
Version 3.0.4 build UNThis version is the Universal Binary release of the Tinnitus Tamer.
It contains one minor bug fix: On initial launch the sweep control slider is now disabled, as it should be, if none of the tones are set to sweep.
Note added 081028: This version still runs in OS 10.4 & OS X 10.5, but due to changes made by Apple in these system the Tinnitus Tamer Apple Help no longer works. If you run OS X 10.4 or OS X 10.5, and want the Tinnitus Tamer Apple Help, please upgrade to the versions for OS X 10.4 or OS X 10.5.
Version 3.0.3 build BNFunctionally identical to version 3.0.2, but compiled for OS X 10.3.8 or earlier.
Version 3.0.2 build BNTinnitusTamerX version 3.0.2 is for use with OS X 10.3.9 or later. It contains fixes of a "silent" crash that could occur under certain conditions.
This version was re-released on 18 March 2010 for use on PPC computers running OS X 10.4.11, with have the launch problem with Universal Applications, which was introduced by the Apple Security Update 2008-008 for Mac OS X 10.4.11 (released December 15, 2008).
Version 3.0.1 build BL33TinnitustamerX version 3.0.1 is identical to TinnitusTamerX version 3.0.0, except that this version has been recompiled for compatibility with OS X 10.3.8 or earlier.
If you use OS X 10.3.9 or later you should continue using version 3.0.0.
Version 3.0.0 build BL1. The tones can now be played in three modes:
4. The File menu now has an item that allows you to save the current tone sequence at any time. If no changes have been made to the current tone sequence, the save item is disabled (greyed out)
5. The File menu now has an item that allows you to reset any tone sequence to the default values.
6. A 'Make File from Tone Sequence' item has been added to the File menu. This item is currently disabled. It will be available in a future update.
Version 2.5.1 build AQMade some cosmetic improvements. Fixed some minor bugs. Improved help tips in main window. Made corrections and minor improvements in user guide, and on-line help.
Version 2.5.0 build AP1. The training tones can now be swept tones or pure tones. Swept tones vary their pitch (frequency) by one octave. The centre of the octave is set with the frequency sliders. The rate of sweep can be adjusted form 0.5 Hz to 10 Hz. Some Tinnitus sounds can now be better mimicked using the sweep frequency mode.
2. There are now nine training sets. Each of the sets can be individually optimised by a user. You only have to press one button to switch to a different training set. The TinnitusTamerX remembers the last training set used, and selects that set when opened. The factory default settings for the nine sets give a new user a quick idea of how training set may be set-up.
3. A progress indicator has been added to show you how you progress through a training session.
4. The TinnitusTamerX window has now the new Apple brushed metallic look when used in OS X 10.3 or higher.
5. The length of a training session no longer depends on the tone duration, repeats, and cycle settings. Each training session now runs for ten minutes. The cycle control, which is now redundant has been removed. You can of course use the Play button to run two sessions end-to-end.
6. User who upgrade from a previous version will find that the controls they are used too still work the same as before, but the description below the controls has been improved to make their function easier to understand by new users.
7. The help tips, which appear when the mouse is hovered over a control, button, or text field, have been improved and expanded to make learning easier for new users.
8. The frequency being played is now shown as "low tone", "mid tone", and "high tone" in the divider line below the "adjust overall volume" control, rather than being shown as a number representing the frequency. This makes it easier for new users to identify which training tone is being played. The exact frequency of the low, mid, and high tones show, as before, above the frequency controls.
9. Rather than changing the name of the Play and Pause buttons to indicate status, these buttons now have indicator lights to show when play or pause is selected.
10. To make it easier to identify a control, the numbers above each control are now colour coded as follows:
The five volume (loudness) related settings are shown in red.
The three tone modifying settings (duration, repeats, and sweep) are shown in yellow.
Version 2.0.3 build 2ahFixed a bug introduced in 2.0.2 that limited the demo duration to one day. Also fixed a bug that prevented TinnitusTamerX from launching when the preference file was removed from the Preferences Folder.
Version 2.0.2 build 2adFixed another bug that caused TinnitusTamerX to crash on start-up on certain machines using OS X 10.3.5.
Version 2.0.1 build 2acFixed a bug that caused TinnitusTamerX to crash on start-up on certain machines using OS X 10.3.5. The download version is now in .zip format.
Version 2.0 build 2abIntroduced minor changes to the User Guide, the Help files, and some minor bug fixes in the programme. The download version is now distributed in .dmg format.
Version 2.0 build 2pExpanded the PDF User Guide with more information than provided by the Help menu. The User Guide opens in, and can be printed from, the Apple Preview application.
Version 2.0Complete re-write of the application in Cocoa.
Improved ease-of-use. The interface was improved and simplified. The separate play and control windows were combined into a single window. The need to switch to the Control window to change settings was eliminated. All settings can now be changed from the main window.
The programme no longer requires QuickTime to be present on the machine. Tones are generated by the Cocoa CoreAudio foundation. This has improved tone switching transients.
Instead of a folder with several files, TinnitusTamerX now consists only of a Cocoa style application. Once you have un-compressed the download file, you should move the TinnitusTamerX icon into the Applications folder.
This release has no longer a separate User Guide file. The User Guide is now available through the Help menu, and can be printed from the Apple Help Viewer application. The size of the download file is now 220 k.
Version 1.2.1The programme was carbonized to run on OS X.
The sample tones now work correctly when the play sequence is paused in left-right mode.
Version 1.2.0The programme no longer needs the external TTsnd file.
Resetting to the Defaults now also resets the short repetition rate, and the rate is properly saved.
The About window and the Purchase window now close automatically when a purchase method is selected.
The frequency sliders in the Control window have been simplified. The main slider acts as the coarse and fine control. The rate at which the slider changes the frequency now depends on the current frequency. The change rate is a percentage (approx. 0.02%) of the frequency rather than a fixed rate, such as 50 Hz.
The fine tune slider has been replaced by a left-right arrow pair. Clicking on an arrow increases or decreases the frequency by 1 Hz
The volume level display has been simplified. It also can turned off by clicking on one of the speaker icons. Clicking the speaker icon a second time turns the volume display back on.
The volume setting in the Tinnitus Tamer are no longer dependent on the system volume settings.
The Control window no longer crashes when a setting is made without first running a sound from the player window.
There is now a 200 msec delay between switching from one ear to the other. As a result the minimum fast switching time is now 0.5 sec.
Version 1 build b9The programme is no longer in a permanent not-registered status.
The sound sequence no longer get stuck when timing changes are made in the control window during a training session.
An alert window now appears when the about window is clicked in an unregistered copy.
The about window can now be closed by clicking anywhere in the about window after registration.
The Player window is now invisible when the About Window is open.
Version 1 build b8Initial release for public beta test.